If I were to choose a favorite nut (is that a thing?) then it would definitely be cashews. I eat them as often as I can. Unsalted, salted, in food, in cake – you name it! So it won’t be a surprise to anyone that I always order something with cashews when we get Asian takeaway. Chicken cashew is one of my favorites. But we can’t order takeaway every time I feel like eating roasted cashews – and it’s so easy to make the best chicken cashew at home, which is sooo much better than takeaway!
What is chicken cashew?
Chicken cashew is a Chinese dish that has (surprise!) chicken and cashews in it. And an extremely delicious sauce. Most choose to add some veggies to the dish because, well, we have to eat vegetables 😉 And honestly it improves it.
I always make my chicken cashew with roasted unsalted cashews, broccoli and spring onions. I like to keep the dish quite simple. And the star of the show in this dish is really the sauce. My sauce is super easy to make, it’s basically just stirring everything together. So basically chicken cashew is quick and easy dinner, ready in less than 30 minutes!
Why I love chicken cashew
- Lots of crunch from the cashews
- Ready in 30 minutes (max!)
- The sauce is frickin’ amazing!
Ingredients for chicken cashew
To make chicken cashew you will of course need chicken and cashews (hehe). As I already mentioned, I like to use broccoli and spring onions. But you can also empty the fridge and add other vegetables such as peppers, leeks, sugar snaps, baby corn etc. And I like to give the dish a kick with lots of garlic and ginger.
For the sauce you will need:
- Soy sauce: Of course. This adds the perfect salt flavor to the sauce.
- Chicken stock: Adds flavor that compliments the chicken. Can be substituted with white wine or vegetable stock.
- Honey: Adds some sweetness to the sauce.
- Sesamolie: Dette giver saucen kant. Pas endelig på ikke at overdosere, da det er meget dominerende.
- Mirin: Jeg har det altid i køkkenet, men hvis du ikke kan få fat i det, så kan det erstattes med risvinseddike.
- Majsstivelse: Dette bruges til at tykne saucen, så den hænger fast i fyldet. Det kan erstattes med mel i en snæver vending.
How to make chicken cashew
Making chicken cashew is super easy. Quick and easy dinner in 30 minutes! Begin by preparing the rice according to package instructions. Then chop all vegetables and chicken into bite size pieces, so everything is ready before you sauté.
Stir the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Toss the chicken in corn starch and fry it on a big frying pan or in a wok until it is almost cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.
Wipe the pan and dry roast the cashews on it. Transfer cashews to a bowl and set aside. Then sauté the vegetables in oil for a few minutes.
Pour the sauce onto the vegetables and add chicken and cashews. Toss to distribute the sauce evenly, then serve with rice and sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
Can I use salted cashews?
No, the dish will be too salty. I recommend to use unsalted cashews.
Can I use other vegetables?
Yes, chicken cashew is delicious with lots of different types of vegetables, such as peppers, cabbage, sugar snaps or baby corn.
Can I serve chicken cashew with noodles?
Yes, you can easily substitute rice with noodles. I recommend to toss the noodles with the filling in the sauce.
30 minute chicken cashew
- 3 dl sticky rice (cooked acc. to package instructions)
- 1 dl chicken broth
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp mirin*
- 450 g chicken breast
- 4 tbsp corn starch
- 1 broccoli
- 4 spring onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp ginger (finely grated)
- 150 g unsalted cashews
- Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Cook the rice according to package instructions while you make the chicken cashew.3 dl sticky rice
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.1 dl chicken broth, 6 tbsp soy sauce, 4 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp corn starch, 2 tbsp mirin*
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Toss in corn starch and set aside.450 g chicken breast, 4 tbsp corn starch
- Rinse and cut broccoli and spring onions. Press garlic cloves and grate the ginger.1 broccoli, 4 spring onions, 3 cloves garlic, 3 tbsp ginger
- Roast the cashews on a dry frying pan at high heat for a few minutes, until they darken. Remove from pan to a bowl.150 g unsalted cashews
- Add some oil to the pan and fry the chicken until it's golden and almost cooked through. Transfer chicken to a bowl.
- Add more oil and sauté garlic and ginger at high heat. Add broccoli and spring onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Lower the heat. Stir the sauce again and pour it over the vegetables on the pan. Add chicken and cashews and toss until the sauce sticks.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with rice.2 tbsp sesame seeds
Rate the recipe
Click the stars to rate: